Saturday, August 6, 2011

Spelling City

If you are anything like me, you are always looking for ways to engage your students in Word Work or Spelling activities.

My colleague found this amazing website that I am really excited to try out! Hop on over to Spelling City and take a peek!


It is an interactive website that allows you to upload all of your spelling lists and creates games using YOUR WORDS! Parents and students can access the lists by going to your "Homepage" and selecting the proper week's list. This can be used at home or in the computer lab. Students can also take practice tests on line and print off their results.

Some of the activities that are accessible for free include: test me, teach me, match it, which word sentences, unscramble, hangmouse, audio word match, missing letter, crosswords, alphabetize, and handwriting practice! You can upgrade to more activities for a fee, but I know that I am content with the free version!
The part I really like is that they ask your which meaning of the word you would like to use for each of the words you enter. Click on the picture below to see an example. These are the sentences they read to the students when asking them to spell one of the words. You can even enter your own if you want to make it more personalized.



What do you think? Let me know in the comments.

See you soon!
signature

No comments:

Post a Comment